NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH, 2010
Dubuque & Delaware Counties Coalition Against Domectic Violence Organizes an annual race against domestic violence which is now named "Mellon Sister's Race Against Violence". The race was held October 16, 2010 at Heritage Trail in Dubuque, IA
For race results please see: Mellon Sister's Race Against Violence Page
Dubuque & Delaware Counties Coalition Against Domestic Violence
The Dubuque/Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence (DDCADV) was formed in 1990 with the intention to serve as an entity where the Batterer's Education Program could be housed. Members of the community ( including but not limited to, the County Attorney, Domestic Violence Program, Maria House, Associate Court Judge, Department of Correctional Services, Members of the Defense Bar and Concerned Citizens) joined together as a way to educate perpetrators, as was mandated by the Iowa Code, in an effort to allow them to change their behavior.
The Iowa State Department of Correctional Services eventually absorbed the Batterer's Education Program. The DDCADV then expanded its efforts in education on domestic violence out into the community. The organization has now grown to what it is today, one that provides community awareness and educational opportunities on issues related to domestic violence.
The purpose of the Coalition is to provide community awareness and education concerning issues related to domestic violence. During the past several years the DDCADV has been involved in many public and educational awareness activities:
- Developed and published a Community Protocol on Domestic Violence.
- Assisted with "Lighting the Way" a yearly candlelight vigil for domestic violence victims of homicide.
- Distributed "Silent Witnesses" throughout the community to raise awareness.
- Public Advertisement Campaign, "Real Men Don't Hit Women" Billboard.
- Sponsored: Jackson Katz — Seminar "Ending Men's Violence Against Women"
- Organizes an annual race against domestic violence which is now named "Mellon Sister's Race Against Violence"
- Provides an emergent needs fund for victims of domestic violence to pay for property damages, transportation needs, rent deposits, utility bills, etc.
- Public Advertisement Campaign, "Love is Not a Battlefield"
If you fear that your internet and/or computer usage might be monitored, please use a safer computer. Use the red SAFETY BUTTON - above, to leave to Google.
Remember, computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear.